Summer time is a great time for picnics. Picnics are a simple FREE way to enjoy your family and friends in nature. 😎
They can be as simple or as elaborate as you desire. It's important to keep food at safe temperatures before and after consumption to prevent potential food poisoning. A cooler with an ice or gel pack is a great option. Rather than buying ice each trip, save $$$ and use ice packs instead. CLICK HERE for some great cheap DIY ice pack options.
No cooler, no problem. Go the easy route and choose foods that don't need constant temperature control such as:
- Hard cheeses
- Canned/dried foods
- Dry cereal
- Peanut butter
Here is a great picnic recipe, it can be served hot off the grill or chilled.
RAINBOW VEGGIE SKEWERS
These rainbow veggie skewers are amazingly colorful, healthy and delicious!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
VEGETABLE INGREDIENTS: (APPROXIMATE; FEEL FREE TO MAKE SUBSTITUTIONS AS NEEDED)
- 16 cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 orange bell pepper, cored and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 yellow squash, halved and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 zucchini, halved and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 large red onion, peeled and quartered then cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 purple potatoes, halved
TO MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE:
Whisk all ingredients together until blended.
TO MAKE THE VEGETABLES:
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Then add the halved purple potatoes and boil for 10 minutes or until fork tender, stirring occasionally. Drain.
Add the purple potatoes and remaining vegetables to a large bowl, and toss with the vinaigrette until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes, or up to 8 hours. If you are using wooden skewers, be sure to also soak them in water before grilling.
When you are ready to cook the vegetables, heat your grill to medium heat. Thread the vegetables onto skewers, in rainbow order if desired. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper if desired. Then place the skewers on an oiled grill and cook for 5-7 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
HAPPY PICNIC-ING!! :)
Post a Comment